Categories: Other Wordpress News and Tips
Later versions of WordPress have new security that stops the uploading of wie files.
When attempted you get the error message: “You must upload a .wie file generated by this plugin.”
The fix that worked for me and I have used on over 20 sites is:
- Install and activate the DOWNGRADE plugin written by GraphicEdit
- Run the DOWNGRADE plugin from under the Settings menu item.
- Copy and past the same url they give as an example and change it to an earlier version of WordPress. I use 4.5.3
- Follow the instructions by pushing the upgrade button. Ignore the version that is listed on the screen.
- Wait for the upgrade to finish. The confirmation version splash screen should match the version you entered in Step 3.
- Import your widgets and breathe a sigh of relief when you see the little green ticks.
- Clear any caching plugins and check that the widgets are visible.
- If you don’t believe you will need to import widgets again, by all means upgrade to the latest version.